Wednesday, July 22, 2009

1 Year

I've written these before - you know, the "One Year Together" where we celebrate the fact that we've been a family for 1 year, 2 years, etc. -- a big milestone in the land of adoption at least...

This "1 Year" post isn't about adoption, or being a family, although I'm profoundly changed by those things...

This "1 Year" is about my youngest child -- you know, the one with epilepsy -- who's last seizure happened 1 YEAR AGO TODAY!!!

W're halfway there folks, another 365 days and we hit the big neurological milestone -- 2 years seizure free. It's such a huge thing. I have to be honest though -- you literally live each day wondering and somewhat holding your breath because the one that breaks the "anniversary count" could come any time, and then your held breath must be let out, and we start over -- such is life with this thing called epilepsy.

Despite the frustration that is neurological affliction, I am so thankful to have been given the gift of Ethen -- he's a fighter, he's stubborn as hell, and I am so proud of him every day. He continues to make great progress, and is about 2 weeks away from being on 1 seizure med (he's been on 2 for the last year, and clearly way over medicated). He will start his 2nd year of public school in about 2 weeks, and I suspect that next May will bring us a child that we hardly recognize -- and I can't wait!

I love you Ethen T.!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Congratulations on 1 year! That is fantastic news. You're absolutely right that you hold your breath every day with the thought in the back of your mind, "Could today be it." At the same time, ONE. WHOLE. YEAR!! Wow! That is amazing. Truly amazing.

Jodi said...

Such wonderful news! Ethan rocks!! His big brother and Mom aren't too shabby either : ) Very happy for you all!

Susan C. said...

This is so great! I'm so happy for you and Ethan!! Way to good!!

Gayla said...

This is such great news!!! Yay Ethen!! I'm so happy for all of you.